EXPERIMENT 5: How does a balloon rocket work?
You will need: -
- A straw
- A balloon
- Thin string or thread that the straw will slide along easily
- Cut a 10cm piece of straw
- Thread it onto the string and tie the string between two objects (between the back of two kitchen chairs would be good)
- Blow up a balloon
- Holding the end closed, sellotape it to the straw (you might need someone to help you do this)
- Release the end of the balloon and watch what happens
- You could try racing two balloons on two pieces of string
- In which direction do the balloon and straw move when you release the balloon?
- In what direction does the air move when it leaves the balloon?
- Why does this happen?
- How could you make the balloon and straw move faster?
- Which famous scientist described this process in his third law of motion?