Try these experiments at home. Take photos of you carrying out your experiment and of your results – or draw them! Go online and find out about the science behind your experiment. Try and use scientific words to explain what happened.
EXPERIMENT 2: What is soil made from?
You will need: -
- A glass jar with a lid
- Soil from your garden
- Fill your glass jar half full of soil – try and remove any living creatures (invertebrates such as worms and woodlice).
- Fill the rest of the jar to the top with water.
- Put on the lid and shake you jar.
- Leave for 24 hours or longer.
- What has happened?
- What is in each layer and why?
- Will all soils be the same?